Tuesday, March 14, 2017

3/14 = Slice of Life (Sleet)

Sleet is highly under appreciated.

The sound is hypnotic.  As it fell last night, hundreds of little hearts were surely breaking, as they wished for snow to be falling instead.  I, on the other hand, was enjoying it.  The first plink-plink-plinks against the window reminds me of rain.   I ran outside,  (inspired by a friend to save my early springing daffodils) and the sound turned to a crackle similar to breaking toffee or sizzling bacon. The sleet fell on my face, jacket, hands.  As it hit, the initial reaction is that of rain... until it bounces off or rolled down my sleeves.  One of my favorite images is seeing young sprouts - maybe even buds - encapsulated in a glassy chrysalis.  The frozen drips are beautiful as they reflect the morning sun.

So, while everyone wishes for snow, (including me), I'm still happy with the drizzly, crackly, beautiful sleet.

1 comment:

  1. What a delightful description - I can see you dashing out to rescue your flowers (much as I did on Monday before a few days of very cold weather)! Happy, happy!

    ReplyDelete