Thursday, March 16, 2017

3/16/17 = Slice of Life (Walking!)

If you asked me a year ago if I was ready for my little one to be talking, I wouldn't have even been able to fathom what that would be like.  Walking also seemed like it would be an impossible feat to accomplish, given his sweet, little "grub" status.  (Indeed, I called him my little grub-ling and couldn't imagine him doing much more than cooing, crying and... well... other grub-like things!)

Now, at 15+ months, I'm constantly asked the question: "Is he walking yet?"  Proudly, I say, "Nope!!"  I'm thrilled I don't have to chase him around.  I'm elated I don't have to worry that thud I just heard from the other room is his noggin.  I'm relieved that I can still count his scrapes, bumps, and bruises on one hand.

My smug thoughts have a time limit, it seems.  He's been able to take steps since he turned 1 year, but hasn't embraced the walking realm... Until now.  I'd been watching my little "cruiser" for the past month or so.  Gradually, he's been working on his balance, taking a few intermittent steps with trepidation, and only beginning to enjoy the "walk with daddy" assistance.  The few times he's shown interest in taking the plunge have ended up face-first on the ground.  He loves to move and his excitement got the best of him.

Yesterday at pick up from day care, his ladies said, "Wes took a lot of steps today... but he also fell forward a whole lot!  We think he might be trying to run instead of walk."  Last night was filled with try, after try, after try again to stand-balance-step-repeat.

Walking (or running?) is imminent.  Better go lace up my running shoes.  This boy is going to keep me busy, I just know it!

1 comment:

  1. My daughter started running instead of walking too. She was like a bullet! But what fun watching them try and try and finally get it! And yes, your life will be never the same now! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete